Finance Minister Bill Morneau says the federal government hasn’t decided if it will pick up the security bill associated with Prince Harry and his wife Meghan’s move to Canada.
A report in the Evening Standard, one of several London-based tabloids known for their relentless obsession with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, claimed the Canadian government had agreed to pay for the couple’s protection while they are in the country.
On Monday, Morneau told reporters in Toronto that there haven’t been any discussions on the matter.
“We haven’t spent any time thinking about this issue,” Morneau said. “We obviously are always looking to make sure that as a member of the Commonwealth that we play a role.”
The couple announced their decision to spend part of their time in Canada following an announcement last week that they will step back from their roles as senior members of the Royal Family and become financially independent.
The cost of security for the couple has been estimated at more than $1.7 million a year.
In an interview on Global News, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reiterated that no decision has been made regarding the security costs.
“I think that is part of the reflection that needs to be had,” Trudeau said. “We’re not entirely sure what the final decisions will be. I think most Canadians are very supportive of having the Royals be here, but how that looks and what kind of costs are involved, there is still lots of discussions to have.”
Get more politics in your inbox
Make sense of what’s happening across the country and around the world with the Star’s This Week in Politics email newsletter.