CTVNews.ca Staff, with files from CTV’s Michel Boyer
Published Wednesday, August 28, 2019 1:39PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:20PM EDT
The Canadian military reservist accused of having connections to a neo-Nazi group has gone missing after being relieved of his army duties.
The Department of National Defence said Tuesday that Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, 26, will no longer participate in any military activities and will not return to work.
The military had been investigating him since the spring due to alleged links to a hate group called “The Base,” a sister organization to the neo-Nazi group “Atomwaffen.” Mathews joined the reserves in 2010 and had been a combat engineer with the 38 Canadian Brigade Group based in Winnipeg.
RCMP officers raided a home registered to Mathews last week, where they seized several firearms, but did not charge anyone with a crime.
Manitoba RCMP now says that Mathews’ family has reported him missing. He has not been seen since Saturday.
“This is a missing person investigation, there is no warrant for arrest and there are no charges pending against the individual,” the RCMP said in a news release.
Mathews was never issued any military weapons during his time as a reservist, as is standard policy, a DND spokesperson said in a statement. He had also returned all of his military equipment, including his rucksack, sleeping equipment and camouflage uniforms.
While the search for Mathews is being carried out by police, the Canadian Armed Forces will cooperate “in any way we can,” the spokesperson said, adding “we hope for the safe return of MCpl Mathews to his family.”
Mathews’ voluntary release from the forces will not be finalized for another few weeks.
He is believed to be driving a red 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with Manitoba licence plate number HXJ 806.